New Controller Design Concept

Well it’s certainly been a while and we’re slowly but surely getting back into a good rhythm.

One of the most popular requests with the controller is to add 6 buttons to the controller.

That product designer has sent over the first drafts of the updated controller design. Keep in mind that this is only concept right now. We’ll integrate more features based on what kind of feedback we get from the community.

Considered features for the controller:

• Update the layout of the Back / Select button to allow space for an LED screen (this can significantly impact battery life)
  • An alternative method to implement VMU compatibility for the Dreamcast. (ideas are welcome)

If you haven’t seen it, here’s a little video from our Instagram account:

A post shared by @spartanconsole on

We’d love to hear what you think because your input is what is going to make this project great.

92 thoughts on “New Controller Design Concept

RYR99 - April 29, 2018

Welcome to the 21st century, the six button controllers are coming back! But could we see some gameplay in the next update?

Bill E. - June 5, 2018

Yay

2. Avatar
    RYR99 - April 29, 2018

I think this is an amazing idea! We could play retro games with that controller! 🙂

Scott Devine - April 30, 2018

and next generation games

2. Avatar
      Chris L - April 30, 2018

Thank you! 🙂

Zach - May 24, 2018

Sonic 4k looks a great concept. Hope SEGA accepts the console.

3. Avatar
    RYR99 - April 29, 2018

You could use the back of the controller as the VMU port.

4. Avatar
    Julian Najm - April 29, 2018

I’m loving it! But why will the Spartan need that much power for running emulators?

RYR99 - April 29, 2018

Because, Julian. With that much power, you could play games in 4K60 format.

RYR99 - April 29, 2018

Instead of using a capture card, you could record it on the Spartan Console instantly.

2. Avatar
      Chris L - April 30, 2018

We’re aiming to cater for new generation games too.

5. Avatar
    RYR99 - April 29, 2018

You could use the bottom bit for the controller and put a VMU inside.

Chris L - April 30, 2018

The main issue isn’t where to put a “VMU” like extension, it’s more about the fact that a VMU will drastically reduce the battery life. Which means more frequent charges or playing via cable while it charges.

6. Avatar
    RYR99 - April 29, 2018

And instead of four players, do five players.

Chris L - April 30, 2018

By utilizing the display port on the Spartan, one could plug in 2 TVs and play up to 8 players. But that’s going to definitely eat up resources on the hardware.

7. Avatar
    Mikey Calhoun - April 30, 2018

That controller is breath taking, pure greatness. This controller looks legendary nice job tream.

Chris L - April 30, 2018

Thanks Mikey!!

8. Avatar
    Göröcs Lajos Zsolt - April 30, 2018

It looks very cool! But in my opinion, it needs to be a little bit bigger. Not like the original Xbox’s Duke controller, but like the Dreamcast’s controller size. Other than that, there is no other issue regards to the controller.

9. Avatar
    Barrett - April 30, 2018

What if the D pad had a central button integrated in with the up, down, left, and right controls? Not so useful for 2d games I know, but it could be useful for modern games that use the d-pad as secondary option buttons like inventory or weapons.

Barrett - April 30, 2018

OR…. what if there were paddles under the handles like on the Xbox Elite controller that were their own buttons instead of programable add-ons. Maybe not 4, just 2 would work.

Chris L - April 30, 2018

This is something we’ll consider for phase 2 of the console and controller.

2. Avatar
        Tracii vyper - May 22, 2018

And those could be the turbo buttons from the original concept!

2. Avatar
      Chris L - April 30, 2018

Do you mean the D pad could click inwards similar to how an analog stick does?

Barrett - April 30, 2018

Yeah, like that

10. Avatar
    Barrett - April 30, 2018

Also, can I have permission to use these images as well as other images from this website for my Wikipedia page about this subject? Please and thanks!

Chris L - April 30, 2018

Absolutely. 🙂

Barrett - May 1, 2018

I have a link for you to view. Its the wiki page I was talking about. Its incomplete and I need some more info and references.

Chris L - May 2, 2018

Could we see the link?

Barrett - May 3, 2018

Sorry about that! I didn’t think the reply was sent. Here it is

2. Avatar
            Chris L - May 9, 2018

Whoops. Just saw this now. Thanks 🙂

2. Avatar
        Barrett - May 1, 2018

here it is! It’s unfinished, and it needs more details and references so if you want to get ahold of me to tell me more just email me.

SegaSonic - May 2, 2018

Dude, I’m all for this, but… WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!? The moment people see this page, they’ll be making videos, they being using this in Youtube memes, they’ll be giving this more criticism than it already can handle! Sorry for the outburst, but I’m worried that this will get criticized too early.

Barrett - May 3, 2018

I made my article in my user sandbox for a reason. The user sandbox is meant for newcomers to Wikipedia to learn how to type articles, so nothing is taken seriously or taken down. But if I have references to everything in my article I can make it a real Wikipedia article, something that Spartan team needs to get ahold of me about so I can finish it. Thanks for the heads up though

2. Avatar
            Chris L - May 9, 2018

Thank you! COuld you provide a URL?

3. Avatar
            Barrett - May 3, 2018

2. Avatar
          CosmicX - May 2, 2018

I think you should change the backwards capability section to make it clear it is software emulation and is not able to take games from the Dreamcast, Saturn, or Genesis. (I know it is obvious but is something people will point out as false)

11. Avatar
    RYR99 - April 30, 2018

I am posting a video based on this update! :>)

12. Avatar
    RYR99 - April 30, 2018

What if we include gameplay in the next update?

13. Avatar
    Christopher - April 30, 2018

Like the controller design, what color do you plan to make the l.e.ds ?

Chris L - May 2, 2018

The LED will change to blue.

Cody - May 9, 2018

Dreamcast Orange please!

14. Avatar
    Scott Devine - April 30, 2018

Hey Chris

Can you show the video of viewing photos, playing music and videos on the next update?

15. Avatar
    Scott Devine - April 30, 2018

Will the VMU handheld controller feature Sonic advance 1, 2, 3 and Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush adventure games?

Scott Devine - May 1, 2018

Oops. sorry.

16. Avatar
    sega king - May 1, 2018

I just hope sega will take this offer

17. Avatar
    GP - May 1, 2018

It will probably been a bide because when Spartan will coming on the market, ps 5 and xbox next or two will already come and it will be the 9th generation. I advice you to upgrade the console’s power.

Chris L - May 2, 2018

We plan to upgrade the GPU power in the next revision.

18. Avatar
    SegaSonic - May 2, 2018

Will the A, B, C, X, Y, Z buttons be analog, as apposed to digital?

SegaSonic - May 4, 2018

As well as the triggers?

Chris L - May 9, 2018

Indeed

SegaSonic - June 27, 2018

Just a heads up, you might want to increase the height of the buttons of they will be analog, because… well… the NeGcon controller for the Playstation has 2 digital buttons, and 2 analong buttons, and those analog buttons are raised. That helps identify the sensitivity of the buttons.

19. Avatar
    RYR99 - May 3, 2018

New video was released on my channel earlier today!

20. Avatar
    RYR99 - May 3, 2018

New video was released on my channel earlier today!

21. Avatar
    Barrett - May 4, 2018

Could you guys email me with info and references for my Wikipedia page on the Spartan? I need more info if you want it to be a real article.

SegaSonic - May 21, 2018

Barrett, you might eant to look in your sandbox. Someone edited it for you. I don’t know exactly where, but it’s been edited, but not in a bad way, I don’t think. Just read it and tell me if there’s anything bad, okay?

22. Avatar
    Jonathan W - May 5, 2018

This looks like you have a clear motive. I really like the ideas and concept, even if I am sceptical about these fan made systems. I just have a few questions:
    Would you consider changing the gpu or cpu to AMD in the future?
    Would you consider making it a proprietary system?
    Are you planning on making the console smaller in later revisions?
    If SEGA does not partner with you or buy your prototype and intellectual properties, would you consider crowd funding?
    Sorry this comment is very long, these were my instant thoughts upon reading about your console. Hope to hear from you!

Chris L - May 9, 2018

1. Our console is divided into 3 development phases. Right now we’re still in the first phase.
      2. It will definitely be smaller in future versions. 🙂
      3. If Sega does not accept this we will move forward with selling it to the public. Crowd funding may not be necessary.

23. Avatar
    Mista the trash friend - May 5, 2018

did anyone post about this on /v/?
    because someone shoud post this on /v/
    :V

Chris L - May 9, 2018

What is /v/ ?

24. Avatar
    sega king - May 7, 2018

This is not fair atari is getting a new console and you guys are trying your hardest to give sega one.

25. Avatar
    TimeToMakeSomeCrazyMoney - May 8, 2018

Is there a way you could make the CAD files available or something? I have a ton of ideas for this controller and I think having more than these pictures would be a big help.

26. Avatar
    hd - May 14, 2018

I think it looks too exometric, can u soften the edges?

Chris L - May 15, 2018

The design has been updated. You’ll see it in the next update 😉

27. Avatar
    PrashBricks III - May 19, 2018

I would like it if you would add some kind of sega dreamcast VMU in the controller,

or make it so that you can play emulated sega games on the controller in “portability mode” meaning that the controller has a screen witch you can power on, to play sega sg-1000, master system, mega drive and maybe even Saturn and dreamcast on the bus for example. That way you can off the screen when you are playing in front of the TV or monitor, and save battery life. (In order to make this useful you will need to make the controller rechargeable for good battery life, for example with microusb.)

28. Avatar
    MiREK - May 20, 2018

Hey, what do you think of the recent Dreamcast 2 rumours?

SegaSonic - June 3, 2018

What rumors?

29. Avatar
    Scott Devine - May 21, 2018

Hey, Chris.

1. Can I resume game saves on classic emulators for Spartan?
    2. Is there a new Sonic spin-off game titled Future Saviors, featuring new generation of Sonic characters known as Future Saviors, led by Sonic and Amy’s son, Speedy?
    3. Will Future Saviors come to Spartan?
    4. Will Sonic Adventure 3 be happening?

30. Avatar
    Dan C. - May 22, 2018

Awesome! This controller looks great! I hope that Sega notices this project.

31. Avatar
    SegaSonic - June 3, 2018

Maybe this will grab attention. On the controller, you can attach a phone holder, and with a special app, you can play some games with a second screen. Huh? Whattaya think?

32. Avatar
    SegaSonic - June 20, 2018

I feel this system should go to patreon. This should get people’s attention, and grab support. Razor has already, but not everyone wants in, I’ll bet.

33. Avatar
    Mystic Monkey - July 12, 2018

I’m liking the new controller design. As I suggested in the Halloween blog, “functionality for an XBox360 controller but feel like holding a Saturn or Dreamcast controller” and it looks good you got that. The six-button layout will really help if modern compilations like “SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics” is played on it, it will have the ideal control-layout for it.

I have a quesiton about the console. How backwards compatable will it be? Will it be able to read both Compact and Gigabyte Discs? (Mega-CD, Saturn and Dreamcast)

On a side-note, has Sega ever got back to you guys on the proposition of a new-gen console?

34. Avatar
    Mo - July 18, 2018

Any new updates on this?? Thanks

35. Avatar
    Funny Paradox - September 12, 2018

That Seem Awsome

36. Avatar
    Mo - October 8, 2018

Is this for real????

37. Avatar
    Mo - November 28, 2018

Any Updates on This?

38. Avatar
    Eldad Dimba - January 13, 2019

It’s 2019 and still no update. Yep it’s dead.

RYR99 - August 1, 2019

EVERYONE, READ THIS: “It’s been very long but we are unable to say much right now on progress. Progress has been made but details need to remain under wraps for a little while. A post and mailer will be going out to let people know we’re not dead.”

39. Avatar
    MO - February 21, 2019

I think you are correct! Anything new?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

RYR99 - June 9, 2019

It is still not dead; I messaged them about 3 months ago and they told me that progress was made, but details have to be remained under wraps.

SegaSonic - June 13, 2019

Was this on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or something else?

RYR99 - June 23, 2019

It was on Messenger.

2. Avatar
  40. Avatar
    RYR99 - August 1, 2019

41. Avatar
    RYR99 - August 2, 2019

42. Avatar
    chris - August 12, 2019

just now finding out about this, didn’t get an email yet but it’s good to know you guys are making progress. i think the last time i tried to come here the site was down.

RYR99 - August 21, 2019

43. Avatar
    Eldad Dimba - September 22, 2019

I still want this so badly. Please, Chris. PLEASE!!!1!1!1!

RYR99 - October 1, 2019